This Training Position

Applicants must first secure a Training position before submitting an application for the Career Training Visa. USIT does not source Training positions; however, we are here to help and offer our professional advice along the way.

  • Book your place

    Email your application form, CV & copy of your passport to to Once an agent has confirmed your eligibility, they will give you access to the online application portal

  • Interview & Training Plan

    USIT will conduct an over the phone interview. Your agent will send you a link to invite your Host Company to complete your DS7002 Training Plan.

  • Assessment by CIEE

    Once your Host Company has completed your Training Plan the US Sponsor will process your application to access your suitability for the programme, approve your application and issue your work papers. This process take 15 business days.

  • Paperwork

    There are a lot of forms and back and forth between different organisations and authorities in this step. But you don't have to worry about that because USIT will take care of all of it.

  • Pre-departure pack

    Once your application is approved by CIEE, your work papers (DS2019), SEVIS receipt and official Training Plan (DS7002) will be shipped to USIT Dublin. We will forward these to your home address and email you an Electronic Pre-Departure pack with everything you need to schedule your US Embassy appointment.

  • When you get to the US

    At this point, you are passed from the care of USIT to your sponsor CIEE. In addition to the support you receive from CIEE, we provide lots of helpful information on things like finding accommodation, so you're as prepared and well looked after as possible at the start of your big adventure.

Talk to us today!

Enquire Now

Document List

  • Before you go

    • DS-2019 & DS7002 Forms

      These documents shows that you are authorised to work and train in the US. They indicates that you have the sponsorship and support of CIEE, and USIT will supply you with it so you can take it to the U.S. Embassy when you apply for your J-1 Visa. The document contains the dates of your programme, as well as your sponsorship identification number (DS-2019 number). If you intend to travel outside the U.S. during your programme, CIEE will need to fill out the travel validation box on your DS-2019 form and issue you a Letter of Good Standing. Please make sure that you have signed and dated the bottom of your DS-2019 form.

    • SEVIS receipt

      The U.S. Department of Homeland Security keeps track of visitors with a system called SEVIS – the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. Once you’ve paid your SEVIS fee to USIT, you’ll receive a SEVIS receipt that you must take with you when you go to the U.S. Embassy to get your visa.

    • Confirmation of insurance

      Insurance is one of the most important things you'll need to take to the US. Please discuss your options with USIT before booking your policy as we'll need to make sure the cover is sufficient for the duration of your stay in the US. Please note, most insurance policies for the US will only cover emergency treatment and not any ongoing or routine medical treatment. It is your responsibility to read your policy and note if you're found to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, any claims may be null and void.

    • Passport

      If you haven’t got a passport, you’ll need one before your embassy interview. If you already have a passport, you need to make sure that it’s valid for your entire trip, including any time you will be in the U.S. after your programme ends. It is best practice to have a passport valid at least 6 months after your programme ends.

  • On the plane

    • Customs Declaration Form 6059B

      Fill this out before you land, and give it to the customs officer. Instructions are printed on the form.

  • In the US

    • Letter to Social Security Officer

      This letter will be provided by CIEE and explains your J-1 Exchange Visitor status to the Social Security officer who will process your Social Security application.

    • Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record Card

      The I-94 number is issued upon entrance to the United States. You may go the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s I-94 website after you have arrived to download and print a copy of your number.